Historic Overtown Folklife Village Walking Tour
Come stroll with us through the Historic Overtown Folklife District and hear first-hand about a once vibrant business, residential and cultural arts community limited by law and custom… then, in decay for decades… now, redeveloping with businesses, housing, cultural heritage and the arts!
- Four blocks framed by Kinte pattern brick walkways
- Historic sites, some adapted to new uses while some retain the original intent
- Sites of historical significance
- Sites listed on the U.S. Secretary’s National Register of Historic Places
- Enjoy shopping and dining at indigenous businesses along the Historic Colored Town Business District, including Jackson’s Soul Food Restaurant
- Learn about the history of historic churches that predate the city’s incorporation
- First Friday Folklife Festival on the Ninth Street Pedestrian Mall, a monthly event sponsored by New Washington Heights CDC
- Explore the past of Colored Town with stops at the Ward Rooming House Gallery and the Black Police Precinct and Museum
For pricing please call 305-636-2390 or 305-636-2217
Tour scheduling requires 24 hours notice. Please wear comfortable shoes!